Labor Support Services & Rates
What can a labor support doula offer my family?
Labor support doulas offer continuous care to a laboring person and their support team. The doula is typically the only professional to provide this level of support as midwives, doctors, and nurses will often come and go as needed and there may be shift changes, location and care transfers, etc. As your doula, I am on call for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and will show up to your home or birth location when you decide that you want me there. I will provide support to your family regardless of the stage of labor that you are in. I will stay for some time after the baby is born to help with your chosen feeding method and after care needs.
When I arrive to your labor location, I bring supplies, ideas, and energy to support the birth process. I can offer a variety of physical support methods and tools, including position ideas, acupressure and massage ideas, relaxation approaches, rebozo techniques, and a TENS unit for labor. I would be happy to discuss specific ideas or needs that you have or anticipate having during labor. My birth philosophy is that every childbearing person has the right to shape their birth experience. I believe that the environment that most likely results in healthy outcomes is one that honors and nurtures the laboring person and their needs and wishes. The labor support team should be confident, encouraging, understanding, and caring so that they can focus completely on their journey.
As your doula, I not only support the laboring person but also your partner(s), older children, family and other members of the support team. I honor the important role that the birth partner plays in the laboring process. My role as your doula is to support the team so that everyone can participate the way that you plan for them to. Sometimes, this includes allowing your partner(s) to sleep, eat, and offering ideas for physically and emotionally supporting the laboring woman.
What can I expect from you?
Here is a succinct list of what you can expect when you hire me as your doula:
- 1-3 prenatal visits to get to you know you, your family, and your choices.
- 24/7 availability to discuss questions or pregnancy changes, and offer emotional support.
- I show up to your labor location when you want me to, not when you have reached a certain point in labor.
- I am committed to working for you and reflecting your values and choices in my words and actions, not my own or those of your care provider or birth facility.
- I bring with me a variety of tools, techniques, and ideas that I can offer to affect labor progress, relaxation, and comfort.
- I will remain with you postpartum for up to two hours to help with after care, breastfeeding support, meal preparation, and other needs.
- I will meet with you twice postpartum to offer assistance with your chosen feeding method, postpartum care, to discuss any concerns or questions that come up, and to debrief your birth experience. Additional postpartum care is often available as needed.
Is there anything that you don't do?
- I am not a medical professional. I will not conduct any clinical tasks such as checking fetal heart tones or cervical exams. While I will advocate for you having a voice and the ability to shape your birth experience, I will not interfere in your relationship with your care provider. I will not speak for you or your family nor will I make any decisions for you. I typically work seamlessly in all labor & birth locations, including your home, birth center, and hospital environments. I hope to be a valuable member of your care team.
What is your Rate?
My rate to be your labor support doula is $1600
This rate includes all prenatal and postpartum visits as well as my presence throughout your labor and any support that you need during your perinatal weeks. Additional postpartum care is available at my postpartum rate. I ask that you pay half of my fee when you hire me, to reserve my time, and the other half after your birth. I believe that everyone needs support when they are bringing a new life into the world and I strive to assist underserved communities when I can. Please inquire about sliding scale opportunities if you're experiencing economic hardship. Gift certificates are available and giving the gift of doula support is an amazing way to positively impact the birth experience of your loved one!